Friday, May 23, 2008

Gimme a Break, Coffee Break, that is...

Sometimes I want to throw my hands up at all the contradictory and confusing information out there about what's healthy and what's not. "Eat organic, eat local--vegetarian isn't healthy for you, but it is for the planet--cut fat, eat fat."

I make it easy on myself and hopefully, the planet by doing what I can the majority of the time and forgetting about the rest of it. I'm not 100% anything all the time. I eat organic when I can, but I don't obsess about it. I figure everything in moderation means less stress for me and my traveling companions seem to appreciate it, too.

Organic coffee is one thing I skip, especially given the cost of coffee. Buying organic foods usually means less exposure to pesticides and fertilizers, but coffee is one exception. The roasting at high temps removes toxic residue in conventional beans according to Sandra Marquardt, Organic Coffee Collaboration spokesperson. This means there's no real health benefit to choosing organic over regular. But choosing organic it does support environmentally sound harvesting and farming practices.

No comments: